Next-gen wearable OS enables highly scalable app ecosystems to run on low-power platforms while extending battery efficiency
CES 2024, LAS VEGAS—January 8, 2024
MicroEJ, a premier provider of software containers for the Internet of Things (IoT), today announced the VEE Wear® operating system (OS) for wearable devices running cost-effective, low-power microcontrollers and microprocessors. Engineered with a highly optimized memory footprint, this next-gen OS brings equivalent features and capabilities found in much larger operating systems to low-power devices and unifies a diverse hardware landscape under a single environment. VEE Wear enables wearable manufacturers to disrupt their market segments with sophisticated features and large app ecosystems as it boosts battery life that is measured in days to weeks.
“Based on tiny software containers, the essence of VEE Wear is to create an ultra-low footprint operating system that reshapes the way wearable products are developed,” said Dr. Fred Rivard, CEO, MicroEJ. “VEE Wear caters to the increasing needs of manufacturers to rapidly scale, differentiate and develop highly appealing smartwatches faster in the continuously growing yet segmented wearable industry. By enhancing battery life, offering endless watch face options and supporting app ecosystems on any smartwatch, VEE Wear represents the disruptive technology the wearable industry has been looking for.”
Ariel Vardi, the CEO of watch platform provider Facer, considers VEE Wear a huge milestone for the smartwatch industry. “This innovative technology unifies the experience on low-power watches and allows the Facer community to develop watch faces for this once fragmented market segment.,” Vardi said. “Customers have been eagerly awaiting the Facer experience on cost-effective, low-power smartwatches, and with VEE Wear, MicroEJ delivered beyond expectations.”
Steve Prokup, smartwatches industry veteran leader, and now CEO at MIJO Connected, agrees. “Reusing software assets across multiple platforms has always been a challenge for smartwatch makers like us,” Prokup said. “VEE Wear significantly speeds up the process of designing, maintaining and upgrading software across all platforms. Suddenly, ideas turn into products quickly, creating a ton of value for all actors in the value chain.”
Empowering the Future of Low-Power Smartwatches
VEE Wear, based on MICROEJ VEE (Virtual Execution Environment), serves as a robust and proven foundation, empowering the creation of highly fashionable smartwatches that boast extended battery life and a rich app ecosystem, all powered by cost-effective, low-power processors. Trusted by industry leaders such as Fossil and Polar, VEE Wear introduces pivotal innovations to the market:
- Smartphone-like capabilities on affordable smartwatches: VEE Wear effectively addresses pressing industry needs by combining cost-effectiveness and sophisticated user experiences. It offers a cutting-edge graphical user interface, superior connectivity, smart sensing, and compelling fitness and health features.
- Unparalleled battery life: Manufacturers can achieve high performance and ultra-low power consumption by leveraging low-power microcontrollers. Additionally, a hybrid architecture extends the battery life of Android watches through a big-little architecture with rich offloading on a low-power processor that is “Powered by VEE Wear.”
- Unlimited watch faces: Through a strategic partnership with Facer, VEE Wear enhances any smartwatch by providing access to 500,000 watch faces via the Facer app. Moreover, it connects brands with a vibrant community of over 30,000 watch face designers, ensuring unparalleled customization options.
- Dedicated app stores and developer ecosystem on any watch: Overcoming the limitations of traditional fixed-function, cost-effective watches, VEE Wear transforms these devices into highly adaptable platforms with dedicated app stores. This innovation fosters a thriving developer ecosystem, empowering manufacturers to introduce specialized apps and capitalize on new monetization opportunities.
- Compatible with Android development tools: Unlike custom operating systems that require intricate software development processes, VEE Wear streamlines efficiency by supporting tools such as Android Studio and the Gradle Build System. This enables the swift creation of dynamic user experiences and feature-rich smartwatch apps.
- Support for Multiple Kernels: VEE Wear maintains compatibility with various kernels such as RTOS, Linux, Android Open-Source Project (AOSP) and custom kernels. VEE Wear unites diverse solutions into a singular, compatible environment, making it more appealing for app providers to participate in the ecosystem.
Experience VEE Wear at CES 2024
MicroEJ will showcase VEE Wear operating system at CES Booth #52739 in the Venetian Expo from January 9-12. Attendees can experience firsthand the innovation and efficiency that VEE Wear brings to the wearable ecosystem. Contact MicroEJ for a preview or to learn more about the VEE Wear solution.
MicroEJ is a software vendor of cost-driven solutions for embedded and IoT devices. We focus on providing device manufacturers with secure products in markets where software applications require high performance, compact size, energy efficiency, and cost-effective development.
Today, more than 120+ companies in the world, with currently over 250 million MICROEJ VEE products sold, have already chosen MicroEJ to design electronic product applications in a large variety of industries, including smart home, wearables, healthcare, industrial automation, retail, telecommunications, smart city, building automation, transportation, etc.
HCI Marketing and Communications